[Numpy-discussion] Numpy pull requests getting out of hand.

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:21:37 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't like that approach, closing PRs with valuable code causes them
> to get lost in the much larger set of closed ones.
> Instead we could tag them appropriately so they can be found by
> parties interested in using or finishing them. These could also be used
> for new contributors to work on.
> You could also tag and close them, but I find it makes them harder to
> discover especially for outsiders who are not aware of this policy.
>
> Also we could extend our contribution guidelines to note that
> reviewing existing PRs can be a much more valuable contribution than
> adding new code. Possibly adding some review guidelines.

FWIW, I second this.

http://scipy.github.io/devdocs/hacking.html mentions
"Contributing new code" and "Contributing by helping maintain existing
code". We should add "Contributing by reviewing open PRs" and
"Contributing by rebasing stalled PRs". It's very much not obvious to
would-be-contributors that either is welcome or that the latter is
actually possible. I don't even think we need to detail guidelines too
much, apart from stressing that we want to preserve the original
commit authorship. And maybe "briefly introduce yourself if we don't
know you yet".

W.r.t. tagging, over at scipy we have a "needs-work" tag. As of today,
there is also the "incomplete" tag, which I do not think conveys the
message --- we should stress the call for action, not a limbo status.
At a minimum, we could adopt  a "needs-review" tag from e.g.
matplotlib and introduce something like "up-for-grabs" or
"needs-champion" tag.

[Of course, the "we should" above is more like, "I think it might make
sense for scipy, maybe also numpy could consider this". ]

My 2 kopeiki,

Evgeni