[Numpy-discussion] DyND 0.7.1 Release

Irwin Zaid izaid at continuum.io
Mon Feb 15 13:42:00 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the latest 0.7.1 release of DyND. The release notes
are at https://github.com/libdynd/libdynd/blob/master/docs/release_notes.txt
.

Over the last 6 months, DyND has really matured a lot and many features
that were "experimental" before are quite usable at the moment. At the same
time, we still have bugs and issues to sort out, so I wouldn't claim DyND
has reached stability just yet. Nevertheless, I'd encourage early adopters
to try it out. You can install it easily using conda, via "conda install -c
dynd/channel/dev dynd-python".

Presently, the core DyND team consists of myself, Mark Wiebe, and Ian
Henriksen, alongside several other contributors. Our focus is almost
entirely on gaps in stability and usability -- the novel features in DyND
that people find attractive (including missing values, ragged arrays,
variable-sized strings, dynamic custom types, and overloadable callables,
among others) are functioning pretty well now.

NumPy compatibility and interoperability is very important to us, and is
something we are constantly improving. We would eventually like to have an
optional NumPy-like API that is fully consistent with what a NumPy user
would expect, but we're not there just yet.

The DyND team would be happy to answer any questions people have about
DyND, like "what is working and what is not" or "what do we still need to
do to hit DyND 1.0".

All the best,

Irwin