[Numpy-discussion] Numexpr-3.0 proposal

Robert McLeod robbmcleod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 03:48:45 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Robert McLeod <robbmcleod at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> 4.) I took a stab at converting from distutils to setuputils but this
>> seems challenging with numpy as a dependency. I wonder if anyone has tried
>> monkey-patching so that setup.py build_ext uses distutils and then pass the
>> interpreter.pyd/so as a data file, or some other such chicanery?
>>

> Not sure what you mean, since numpexpr already uses setuptools:
> https://github.com/pydata/numexpr/blob/master/setup.py#L22. What is the
> real goal you're trying to achieve?
>
> This monkeypatching is a bad idea:
> https://github.com/robbmcleod/numexpr/blob/numexpr-3.0/setup.py#L19. Both
> setuptools and numpy.distutils already do that, and that's already one too
> many. So you definitely don't want to add a third place.... You can use the
> -j (--parallel) flag to numpy.distutils instead, see
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/user/building.html#parallel-builds
>
> Ralf

Dear Ralf,

Yes, this appears to be a bad idea.  I was just trying to think about if I
could use the more object-oriented approach that I am familiar with in
setuptools to easily build wheels for Pypi.  Thanks for the comments and
links; I didn't know I could parallelize the numpy build.

Robert

--
Robert McLeod, Ph.D.
Center for Cellular Imaging and Nano Analytics (C-CINA)
robert.mcleod at unibas.ch
robert.mcleod at bsse.ethz.ch <robert.mcleod at ethz.ch>
robbmcleod at gmail.com