[Numpy-discussion] building NumPy with gcc if Python was built with icc?!?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Feb 16 15:02:33 EST 2016

In principle this should work (offer may be void on windows which has its
own special weirdnesses, but I assume you're not on windows). icc and gcc
should both support the same calling conventions and so forth. It sounds
like you're just running into an annoying build system configuration issue
where python likes to remember the compiler options used to build python,
and then when it's time to build extension modules then the extension
modules ask distutils what to do and distutils tells them to use these
remembered options to build themselves as well. So you want to look into
what compiler flag defaults are being exported by your python build, and
figure out some way to make it export the ones you want instead of the
defaults. I don't think there's anything really numpy specific about this,
since it's about cpython's own build system plus stdlib -- I'd try asking
on python-list or so.

-n