[Numpy-discussion] GSoC?

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 01:14:21 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> We might consider adding "improve duck typing for numpy arrays"
>>

> care to elaborate on that one?
>
> I know it come up on here that it would be good to have some code in numpy
> itself that made it easier to make array-like objects (I.e. do indexing the
> same way) Is that what you mean?

I was thinking particularly of improving the compatibility of numpy
functions (e.g., concatenate) with non-numpy array-like objects, but now
that you mention it utilities to make it easier to make array-like objects
could also be a good thing.

In any case, I've now elaborated on my thought into a full project idea on
the Wiki:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2016-project-ideas#improved-duck-typing-support-for-n-dimensional-arrays

Arguably, this might be too difficult for most GSoC students -- the API
design questions here are quite contentious. But given that "Pythonic
dtypes" is up there as a GSoC proposal still it's in good company.

Cheers,
Stephan