[Numpy-discussion] Numpy funding update

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 03:23:14 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A quick good news message: OSDC has made a $5k contribution to NumFOCUS,
> which is split between support for a women in technology workshop and
> support for Numpy:
> http://www.numfocus.org/blog/osdc-donates-5k-to-support-numpy-women-in-tech
> > This was a very nice surprise to me, and a first sign that the FSA
> (fiscal sponsorship agreement) we recently signed with NumFOCUS is going to
> yield significant benefits for Numpy.
> >
> > NumFOCUS is also doing a special end-of-year fundraiser. Funds donated
> (up to $5k) will be tripled by anonymous sponsors:
> http://www.numfocus.org/blog/numfocus-end-of-year-fundraising-drive-5000-matching-gift-challenge
> > So think of Numpy (or your other favorite NumFOCUS-sponsored project of
> course) if you're considering a holiday season charitable gift!
>
> That sounds great! Do we have any concrete plans for spending that money,
> yet?

There are:
  1. developer meetings
  2. MingwPy
  3. TBD - Numpy code/infrastructure work

Some initial plans were discussed and documented during the first Numpy
developer meeting at Scipy'15. See wiki page [1] and meeting minutes [2].

Funding for facilitating more developer meetings (~1 a year) is definitely
on the radar. Plans for funding development of new features or other
code/infrastructure work are still fuzzy (except for MingwPy, see my email
of today on that).

We need to transfer the relevant part of those meeting minutes [2] into the
docs, and expand upon those to get a clear roadmap online that we can build
on. This is work for the next months I think.

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/SciPy-2015-developer-meeting
[2]