[Numpy-discussion] Windows build/distribute plan & MingwPy funding

Erik Bray erik.m.bray+numpy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 12:35:36 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You probably know that building Numpy, Scipy and the rest of the Scipy Stack
> on Windows is problematic. And that there are plans to adopt the static
> MinGW-w64 based toolchain that Carl Kleffner has done a lot of work on for
> the last two years to fix that situation.
>
> The good news is: this has become a lot more concrete just now, with this
> proposal for funding: http://mingwpy.github.io/proposal_december2015.html
>
> Funding for phases 1 and 2 is already confirmed; the phase 3 part has been
> submitted to the PSF. Phase 1 (of $1000) is funded by donations made to
> Numpy and Scipy (through NumFOCUS), and phase 2 (of $4000) by NumFOCUS
> directly. So a big thank you to everyone who made a donation to Numpy, Scipy
> and NumFOCUS!
>
> I hope that that proposal gives a clear idea of the work that's going to be
> done over the next months. Note that the http://mingwpy.github.io contains a
> lot more background info, description of technical issues, etc.
>
> Feedback & ideas very welcome of course!
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Hi Ralph,

I've seen you drop hints about this recently, and am interested to
follow this work.  I've been hired as part of the OpenDreamKit project
to work, in large part, on developing a sensible toolchain for
building and distributing Sage on Windows.  I know you've been
following the thread on that too.  Although the primary goal there is
"whatever works", I'm personally inclined to focus on the mingwpy /
mingw-w64 approach, due in large part with my past success with the
MinGW 32-bit toolchain.  (I personally have a desire to improve
support for building with MSVC as well, but that's a less important
goal as far as the funding is concerned.)

So anyways, please keep me in the loop about this, as I will also be
putting effort into this over the next year as well.  Has there been
any discussion about setting up a mailing list specifically for this
project?

Thanks,
Erik