[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jan 7 22:01:53 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Yuxiang Wang <yw5aj at virginia.edu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I know that in Windows, we should use either Christoph's package or
> Anaconda for MKL-optimized numpy. In Linux, the fortran compiler issue
> is solved, so should I directly used pip install numpy to get numpy
> with a reasonable BLAS library?

pip install numpy should work fine; whether it gives you a reasonable
BLAS library will depend on whether you have the development files for
a reasonable BLAS library installed, and whether numpy's build system
is able to automatically locate them. Generally this means that if
you're on a regular distribution and remember to install a decent BLAS
-dev or -devel package, then you'll be fine.

On Debian/Ubuntu, 'apt install libopenblas-dev' is probably enough to
ensure something reasonable happens.

Anaconda is also an option on linux if you want MKL (or openblas).

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org