[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:31:12 EST 2016

> Both Anaconda and Canopy build on a base default Linux system so that
> the built binaries will work on many Linux systems.

I think the base linux system is CentOS 5, and from my experience, it
seems like
this approach
has worked very well. Those packages are compatible with all essentially
all Linuxes that are
more recent than CentOS 5 (which is ancient). I have not heard of anyone
complaining that the
packages they install through conda don't work on their CentOS 4 or Ubuntu
6.06 box. I assume
Python / pip is probably used on a wider diversity of linux flavors than
conda is, so I'm sure that
binaries built on CentOS 5 won't work for absolutely _every_ linux user,
but it does seem to
cover the substantial majority of linux users.

Building redistributable linux binaries that work across a large number of
distros and distro
versions is definitely tricky. If you run ``python setup.py bdist_wheel``
on your Fedora Rawhide
box, you can't really expect the wheel to work for too many other linux
users. So given that, I
can see why PyPI would want to be careful about accepting Linux wheels.

But it seems like, if they make the upload something like

```
twine upload numpy-1.9.2-cp27-none-linux_x86_64.whl \
    --yes-yes-i-know-this-is-dangerous-but-i-know-what-i'm-doing
```

that this would potentially be able to let packages like numpy serve their
linux
users better without risking too much junk being uploaded to PyPI.

-Robert