[Numpy-discussion] Windows build/distribute plan & MingwPy funding

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:11:12 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Erik Bray <erik.m.bray+numpy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> You probably know that building Numpy, Scipy and the rest of the Scipy
> Stack
> >> on Windows is problematic. And that there are plans to adopt the static
> >> MinGW-w64 based toolchain that Carl Kleffner has done a lot of work on
> for
> >> the last two years to fix that situation.
> >>
> >> The good news is: this has become a lot more concrete just now, with
> this
> >> proposal for funding:
> http://mingwpy.github.io/proposal_december2015.html
> >>
> >> Funding for phases 1 and 2 is already confirmed; the phase 3 part has
> been
> >> submitted to the PSF. Phase 1 (of $1000) is funded by donations made to
> >> Numpy and Scipy (through NumFOCUS), and phase 2 (of $4000) by NumFOCUS
> >> directly. So a big thank you to everyone who made a donation to Numpy,
> Scipy
> >> and NumFOCUS!

More good news: the PSF has approved phase 3!

> >> I hope that that proposal gives a clear idea of the work that's going
> to be
> >> done over the next months. Note that the http://mingwpy.github.io
> contains a
> >> lot more background info, description of technical issues, etc.
> >>
> >> Feedback & ideas very welcome of course!
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Ralf
> >
> > Hi Ralph,
> >
> > I've seen you drop hints about this recently, and am interested to
> > follow this work.  I've been hired as part of the OpenDreamKit project
> > to work, in large part, on developing a sensible toolchain for
> > building and distributing Sage on Windows.  I know you've been
> > following the thread on that too.  Although the primary goal there is
> > "whatever works", I'm personally inclined to focus on the mingwpy /
> > mingw-w64 approach, due in large part with my past success with the
> > MinGW 32-bit toolchain.

That's good to hear Erik.

> (I personally have a desire to improve
> > support for building with MSVC as well, but that's a less important
> > goal as far as the funding is concerned.)
>

> > So anyways, please keep me in the loop about this, as I will also be
> > putting effort into this over the next year as well.  Has there been
> > any discussion about setting up a mailing list specifically for this
> > project?

We'll definitely keep you in the loop. We try to do as much of the
discussion as possible on the mingwpy mailing list and on
https://github.com/mingwpy. If there's significant progress then I guess
that'll be announced on this list as well.

Cheers,
Ralf