[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jan 9 23:49:48 EST 2016

On Jan 9, 2016 10:09, "Matthew Brett" <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sandro,
>
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
> >> I wrote a page on using pip with Debian / Ubuntu here :
> >> https://matthew-brett.github.io/pydagogue/installing_on_debian.html
> >
> > Speaking with my numpy debian maintainer hat on, I would really
> > appreciate if you dont suggest to use pip to install packages in
> > Debian, or at least not as the only solution.
>
> I'm very happy to accept alternative suggestions or PRs.
>
> I know what you mean, but I can't yet see how to write a page that
> would be good for explaining the benefits / tradeoffs of using deb
> packages vs mainly or only pip packages vs a mix of the two.  Do you
> have any thoughts?

Why not replace all the "sudo pip" calls with "pip --user"? The trade offs
between Debian-installed packages versus pip --user installed packages are
subtle, and both are good options. Personal I'd generally recommend anyone
actively developing python code to skip straight to pip for most things,
since you'll eventually end up there anyway, but this is definitely
debatable and situation dependent. On the other hand, "sudo pip"
specifically is something I'd never recommend, and indeed has the potential
to totally break your system.

-n