[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:14:49 EST 2016

> > Right. There's a small problem which is that the base linux system
>> isn't just "CentOS 5", it's "CentOS 5 and here's the list of libraries
> > that you're allowed to link to: ...", where that list is empirically
> > chosen to include only stuff that really is installed on ~all linux
>> machines and for which the ABI really has been stable in practice over
> > multiple years and distros (so e.g. no OpenSSL).
> >
> > Does anyone know who maintains Anaconda's linux build environment?

> I strongly suspect it was originally set up by Aaron Meurer. Who
maintains it now that he is no longer at Continuum is a good question.

>From looking at all of the external libraries referenced by binaries
included in Anaconda
and the conda repos, I am not confident that they have a totally strict
policy here, or at least
not ones that is enforced by tooling. The sonames I listed here
<https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2016-January/074602.html>
cover
all of the external
dependencies used by the latest Anaconda release, but earlier releases and
other
conda-installable packages from the default channel are not so strict.

-Robert