[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 11 13:25:05 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> > that this would potentially be able to let packages like numpy serve
> their
> > linux
> > users better without risking too much junk being uploaded to PyPI.
>
> That will never fly. But like Matthew says, I think we can probably
> get them to accept a PEP saying "here's a new well-specified platform
> tag that means that this wheel works on all linux systems meet the
> following list of criteria: ...", and then allow that new platform tag
> onto PyPI.

The second step is a trick though -- how does pip know, when being run on a
client, that the system meets those requirements? Do we put a bunch of code
in that checks for those libs, etc???

If we get all that worked out, we still haven't made any progress toward
the non-standard libs that aren't python. This is the big "scipy problem"
-- fortran, BLAS, hdf, ad infinitum.

I argued for years that we could build binary wheels that hold each of
these, and other python packages could depend on them, but pypa never
seemed to like that idea. In the end, if you did all this right, you'd have
something like conda -- so why not just use conda?

All that being said, if you folks can get the core scipy stack setup to pip
install on OS_X, Windows, and Linux, that would be pretty nice -- so keep
at it !

-CHB

> -n
>
> --
> Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov