[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jan 15 15:20:23 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sure. Someone's already packaged those for conda, and no one has packaged
>> them for pypi, so it makes sense that conda is more convenient for you. If
>> someone does the work of packaging them for pypi, then that difference goes
>> away.
>
> This is what I meant by "cultural" issues :-)
>
> but pypi has been an option for Windows and OS-X for ages and those
> platforms are the bigger problem anyway -- and no one has done it for those
> platforms

I think what's going on here is that Windows *hasn't* been an option
for numpy/scipy due to the toolchain issues, and on OS-X we've just
been using the platform BLAS (Accelerate), so the core packages
haven't had any motivation to sort out the whole library dependency
issue, and no-one else is motivated enough to do it. My prediction is
that after the core packages sort it out in order to solve their own
problems then we might see others picking it up.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org