[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.11.0b2 released

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 18:25:32 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> osx
> does
> because pip
> be

> that it

> charlesr.harris at gmail.com>

> files,

> >> So what happens if I use twine to upload a beta? Mind, I'd give it a try
> >> if pypi weren't an irreversible machine of doom.
> >

> > One of the things that will probably happen but needs to be avoided is
> that
> > 1.11b2 becomes the visible release at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/numpy.
> By
> > default I think the status of all releases but the last uploaded one (or
> > highest version number?) is set to hidden.
>
> Huh, I had the impression that if it was ambiguous whether the "latest
> version" was a pre-release or not, then pypi would list all of them on
> that page -- at least I know I've seen projects where going to the
> main pypi URL gives a list of several versions like that. Or maybe the
> next-to-latest one gets hidden by default and you're supposed to go
> back and "un-hide" the last release manually.
>
> Could try uploading to
>
>   https://testpypi.python.org/pypi
>
> and see what happens...

That's worth a try, would be good to know what the behavior is.

> > Other ways that users can get a pre-release by accident are:
> > - they have pip <1.4 (released in July 2013)
>
> It looks like ~a year ago this was ~20% of users --
> https://caremad.io/2015/04/a-year-of-pypi-downloads/
> I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped quite a bit since then, but if
> this is something that will affect our decision then we can ping
> @dstufft to ask for updated numbers.

Hmm, that's more than I expected. Even if it dropped by a factor of 10 over
the last year, that would still be a lot of failed installs for the current
beta1. It looks to me like this is a bad trade-off. It would be much better
to encourage people to test against numpy master instead of a pre-release
(and we were trying to do that anyway). So the benefit is then fairly
limited, mostly typing the longer line including wheels.scipy.org when
someone wants to test a pre-release.

Ralf