[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.11.0b2 released

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:27:15 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me that the best solution might be to put together a
> .travis.yml for the release branches that does: "for pkg in
> IMPORTANT_PACKAGES: pip install $pkg; python -c 'import pkg; pkg.test()'"
> This might not be viable right now, but will be made more viable if pypi
> starts allowing official Linux wheels, which looks likely to happen before
> 1.12... (see PEP 513)
>
> On Jan 29, 2016 9:46 AM, "Andreas Mueller" <t3kcit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is this the point when scikit-learn should build against it?
> Yes please!
>
> > Or do we wait for an RC?
> This is still all in flux, but I think we might actually want a rule that
> says it can't become an RC until after we've tested scikit-learn (and a
> list of similarly prominent packages). On the theory that RC means "we
> think this is actually good enough to release" :-). OTOH I'm not sure the
> alpha/beta/RC distinction is very helpful; maybe they should all just be
> betas.
>
> > Also, we need a scipy build against it. Who does that?
> Like Julian says, it shouldn't be necessary. In fact using old builds of
> scipy and scikit-learn is even better than rebuilding them, because it
> tests numpy's ABI compatibility -- if you find you *have* to rebuild
> something then we *definitely* want to know that.
>
> > Our continuous integration doesn't usually build scipy or numpy, so it
> will be a bit tricky to add to our config.
> > Would you run our master tests? [did we ever finish this discussion?]
> We didn't, and probably should... :-)
>
> Why would that be necessary if scikit-learn simply tests pre-releases of
numpy as you suggested earlier in the thread (with --pre)?

There's also https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-stack-osx-testing by the
way, which could have scikit-learn and scikit-image added to it.

That's two options that are imho both better than adding more workload for
the numpy release manager. Also from a principled point of view, packages
should test with new versions of their dependencies, not the other way
around.

Ralf