[Numpy-discussion] Picking rows with the first (or last) occurrence of each key

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:18:00 EDT 2016

Hey Skip,

Any way that you can make your keys numeric? Then you can run np.diff on
that first column, and use the indices of nonzero entries (np.flatnonzero)
to know where values change. With a +1/-1 offset (that I am too lazy to
figure out right now ;) you can then index into the original rows to get
either the first or last occurrence of each run.

Juan.

On 2 July 2016 at 10:10:16 PM, Skip Montanaro (skip.montanaro at gmail.com)