[Numpy-discussion] Added atleast_nd, request for clarification/cleanup of atleast_3d

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Jul 6 18:22:01 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

>> > I think you're just missing it:) atleast_1d/2d are used quite a bit in
>> > Scipy and Statsmodels (those are the only ones I checked), and in the large
>> > majority of cases it's the best thing to use there. There's a bunch of
>> > atleast_2d calls with a transpose appended because the input needs to be
>> > treated as columns instead of rows, but that's still efficient and readable
>> > enough.
>>
>> I know people *use* it :-). What I'm confused about is in what situations
>> you would invent it if it didn't exist. Can you point me to an example or
>> two where it's "the best thing"? I actually had statsmodels in mind with my
>> example of wanting the semantics "coerce 1d inputs into a column matrix; 0d
>> or 3d inputs are an error". I'm surprised if there are places where you
>> really want 0d arrays converted into 1x1,
>
> Scalar to shape (1,1) is less common, but 1-D to 2-D or scalar to shape (1,)
> is very common.

That's ravel, though, not atleast_*, right?

> Example is at the top of scipy/stats/stats.py: the
> _chk_asarray functions (used in many other functions)

I feel like this actually argues for my point :-). scipy.stats needs
some uniform prepping of input, so there's a helper function to do
that, and the helper function's semantics are not at all the semantics
of atleast_*. And they don't even use atleast_* in any necessary way
-- the only thing they do is

if arr.ndim ==0:
    arr = np.atleast_1d(arr)

but this could be written just as well as

if arr.ndim == 0:
    arr = arr[np.newaxis]

(In any case, atleast_1d definitely makes more sense to me than any of
the others, since it so obviously corresponds to exactly that 2-line
incantation as the only reasonable implementation.)

> take care to never
> return scalar arrays because those are plain annoying to deal with. If that
> sounds weird to you, you're probably one of those people who was never
> surprised by this:
>
> In [3]: x0 = np.array(1)
>
> In [4]: x1 = np.array([1])
>
> In [5]: x0[0]
> IndexError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
> <ipython-input-5-6a57e371ca72> in <module>()
> ----> 1 x0[0]
>
> IndexError: too many indices for array
>
> In [6]: x1[0]
> Out[6]: 1

I was surprised by it the first time I hit it, but then thought it
over and decided that it was better than the alternatives :-).

(It does strike me as really odd, I would even say a bug, that e.g.
scipy.stats.mode returns a 1d array for 1d input, and a 2d array (!)
for 2d input. Mode is semantically a reduction operation, and we have
pretty strong conventions for how those work -- drop a dimension
unless keepdims=True. Obviously this is old existing code, and that's
fine, but it's not how we'd recommend people write new code, I think?
I guess this is orthogonal to the whole atleast_* discussion anyway
:-).)

>> or want to allow high dimensional arrays to pass through - and if you do
>> want to allow high dimensional arrays to pass through, then transposing
>> might help with 2d cases but will silently mangle high-d cases, right?
>
>>2d input handling is usually irrelevant. The vast majority of cases is
>> "function that accepts scalar and 1-D array" or "function that accepts 1-D
>> and 2-D arrays".

So maybe we should have functions that actually handle those cases,
instead of recommending atleast_*?

-n