[Numpy-discussion] StackOverflow documentation

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:59:32 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:24:15 +0200, mail kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> Since it is run by the community, perhaps it's not a bad idea to
>> encourage people to share their examples.
>
> I would perhaps rather encourage people to improve the "Numpy User Guide"
> or the main documentation. Of course, working on that requires a somewhat
> different level of committment than editing what's essentially
> Stackexchange-provided wiki (where content gets relicensed with
> attribution clauses where you have to reference stackexchange and not the
> original author directly).

The way it looks right now, it is more of an example collection by
topic, similar to the old scipy wiki examples for numpy.
http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/python/196/comprehensions#t=201607212153155953853

It doesn't look like it will be a substitute for proper API
documentation, docstrings with numpy standard.
Longer examples or recipes on stackoverflow also have the problem that
code doesn't have a different license and falls under the
documentation license.
So, I don't think it will become a substitute for good notebook or
blog post examples either.

(license is the usual one way street, they copy, we cannot copy back
under our license)

Josef