[Numpy-discussion] ENH: compute many inner products quickly

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 16:42:19 EDT 2016

There I was thinking vector-vector inner product was in fact covered by
`np.inner`. Yikes, half inner, half outer.

As for names, I think `matvecmul` and `vecmul` do seem quite OK (probably
need `vecmatmul` as well, which does the same as `matmul` would for 1-D
first argument).

But as other suggestions, keeping the `dot` one could think of
`vec_dot_vec` and `mat_dot_vec`, etc. More obscure but shorter would be to
use the equivalent `einsum` notation: `i_i`, `ij_j`, `i_ij`, `ij_jk`.

-- Marten