[Numpy-discussion] Windows wheels, built, but should we deploy?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:29:27 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 4:42 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,

> I propose that we upload Windows wheels to pypi.  The wheels are
> likely to be stable and relatively easy to maintain, but will have
> slower performance than other versions of numpy linked against faster
> BLAS / LAPACK libraries.
>
> Background:
>
> There's a long discussion going on at issue github #5479 [1], where
> the old problem of Windows wheels for numpy came up.
>
> For those of you not following this issue, the current situation for
> community-built numpy Windows binaries is dire:
>
> * We have not so far provided windows wheels on pypi, so `pip install
> numpy` on Windows will bring you a world of pain;
> * Until recently we did provide .exe "superpack" installers on
> sourceforge, but these became increasingly difficult to build and we
> gave up building them as of the latest (1.10.4) release.
>
> Despite this, popularity of Windows wheels on pypi is high.   A few
> weeks ago, Donald Stufft ran a query for the binary wheels most often
> downloaded from pypi, for any platform [2] . The top five most
> downloaded were (n_downloads, name):
>
> 6646,
> numpy-1.10.4-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.macosx_10_9_intel.macosx_10_9_x86_64.macosx_10_10_intel.macosx_10_10_x86_64.whl
> 5445, cryptography-1.2.1-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl
> 5243, matplotlib-1.4.0-cp34-none-win32.whl
> 5241, scikit_learn-0.15.1-cp34-none-win32.whl
> 4573, pandas-0.17.1-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl
>
> So a) the OSX numpy wheel is very popular and b) despite the fact that
> we don't provide a numpy wheel for Windows, matplotlib, sckit_learn
> and pandas, that depend on numpy, are the 3rd, 4th and 5th most
> downloaded wheels as of a few weeks ago.
>
> So, there seems to be a large appetite for numpy wheels.
>
> Current proposal:
>
> I have now built numpy wheels, using the ATLAS blas / lapack library -
> the build is automatic and reproducible [3].
>
> I chose ATLAS to build against, rather than, say OpenBLAS, because
> we've had some significant worries in the past about the reliability
> of OpenBLAS, and I thought it better to err on the side of
> correctness.
>
> However, these builds are relatively slow for matrix multiply and
> other linear algebra routines compared numpy built against OpenBLAS or
> MKL (which we cannot use because of its license) [4].   In my very
> crude array test of a dot product and matrix inversion, the ATLAS
> wheels were 2-3 times slower than MKL.  Other benchmarks on Julia
> found about the same result for ATLAS vs OpenBLAS on 32-bit bit, but a
> much bigger difference on 64-bit (for an earlier version of ATLAS than
> we are currently using) [5].
>
> So, our numpy wheels likely to be stable and give correct results, but
> will be somewhat slow for linear algebra.

I would not worry too much about this: at worst, this gives us back the
situation where we were w/ so-called superpack, which have been successful
in the past to spread numpy use on windows.

My main worry is whether this locks us into ATLAS  for a long time because
of package depending on numpy blas/lapack (scipy, scikit learn). I am not
sure how much this is the case.

David