[Numpy-discussion] Numpy arrays shareable among related processes (PR #7533)

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:15:59 EDT 2016

Feng Yu <rainwoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, did you checkout http://zeromq.org/blog:zero-copy ?
> ZeroMQ is a dependency of Jupyter, so it is quite available.

ZeroMQ is great, but it lacks some crucial features. In particular it does
not support IPC on Windows. Ideally one should e.g. use Unix doman sockets
on Linux and named pipes on Windows. Most MPI implementations seems to
prefer shared memory over these mechanisms, though. Also I am not sure
about ZeroMQ and asynch i/o. I would e.g. like to use IOCP on Windows, GCD
on Mac, and a threadpool plus epoll on Linux.

Sturla