[Numpy-discussion] __numpy_ufunc__

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 15:10:25 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> For those interested in continuing the __numpy_ufunc__ saga, there is a pull
> request enabling it <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/8247>. Likely we
> will want to make some changes up front before merging that, so some
> discussion is in order.

As a first order of business, let's decide whether to remove the index and
rename `__numpy_ufunc__`. The motivation for this is discussed in issue
#5986. <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/5986>
If we decide positive on that (I'm in favor), I would be happy with the
proposed name `__array_ufunc__`, although something more descriptive like
`__handle_ufunc__` might be better. This is a wonderful opportunity for
bike shedding for those so inclined ;)

Chuck