[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.12.0b1 released.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 00:47:39 EST 2016

Hi All,

I'm pleased to annouce the release of NumPy 1.12.0b1. This release
supports  Python 2.7 and 3.4 - 3.6 and is the result of 388 pull requests
submitted by 133 contributors. It is quite sizeable and rather than put the
release notes inline I've attached them as a file and they may also be
viewed at Github <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/releases/tag/v1.12.0b1>.
Zip files and tarballs may also be found the Github link. Wheels and source
archives may be downloaded from PyPI, which is the recommended method.

This release is a large collection of fixes, enhancements, and improvements
and it is difficult to select just a few as highlights. However, the
following enhancements may be of particular interest

   - Order of operations in ``np.einsum`` now can be optimized for large
   speed improvements.
   - New ``signature`` argument to ``np.vectorize`` for vectorizing with
   core dimensions.
   - The ``keepdims`` argument was added to many functions.
   - Support for PyPy 2.7 v5.6.0 has been added. While not complete, this
   is a milestone for PyPy's C-API compatibility layer.

Thanks to all,

Chuck