[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.12.0b1 released

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 04:14:45 EST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Congrats to all on the release.Two questions:
> >
> > Is there a guide to building standard wheels for NumPy?
>
> I don't think so - there is a repository that we use to build the
> wheels, that has the Windows, OSX and manyllinux recipes for the
> standard CPython build:
>
> https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheelso
>
> If you can work out a way to automate the PyPy builds and tests -
> especially using the same repo - that would be very useful.
>
> > Assuming I can build standardized PyPy 2.7 wheels for Ubuntu, Win32 and
> > OSX64, how can I get them blessed and uploaded to PyPI?
>
> If you can automate the build and tests, I'm guessing there will be no
> objections - but it's not my call...

I'm in favor, assuming that the wheel tags and PyPy backwards compatibility
situation is OK. Can't really find any examples. What I mean is that for
CPython wheels contain tags like "cp27" or "cp35". PyPy wheels should have
tags "pp<something>". Are the PyPy cpyext layer and the <something> defined
such that a new PyPy release won't break older wheels?

Ralf