[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.12.0b1 released

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Nov 18 11:24:10 EST 2016

On Nov 18, 2016 01:14, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > Congrats to all on the release.Two questions:
>> >
>> > Is there a guide to building standard wheels for NumPy?
>>
>> I don't think so - there is a repository that we use to build the
>> wheels, that has the Windows, OSX and manyllinux recipes for the
>> standard CPython build:
>>
>> https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheelso
>>
>> If you can work out a way to automate the PyPy builds and tests -
>> especially using the same repo - that would be very useful.
>>
>> > Assuming I can build standardized PyPy 2.7 wheels for Ubuntu, Win32 and
>> > OSX64, how can I get them blessed and uploaded to PyPI?
>>
>> If you can automate the build and tests, I'm guessing there will be no
>> objections - but it's not my call...
>

> I'm in favor, assuming that the wheel tags and PyPy backwards
compatibility situation is OK. Can't really find any examples. What I mean
is that for CPython wheels contain tags like "cp27" or "cp35". PyPy wheels
should have tags "pp<something>". Are the PyPy cpyext layer and the
<something> defined such that a new PyPy release won't break older wheels?

Another thing to think about is that 1.12 on pypy won't pass its test suite
(though it's close), and we're not yet testing new PRs on pypy, so no
guarantees about 1.13 yet. I think on balance these probably aren't reasons
*not* to upload wheels, but it's a funny place where we're talking about
providing "official" builds even though it's not an "officially supported
platform". So we will at least want to be clear about that. And someone
will have to handle the bug reports about the test suite failing :-).

-n