[Numpy-discussion] Integers to negative integer powers, time for a decision.
Charles R Harris
charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 21:12:53 EDT 2016
The time for NumPy 1.12.0 approaches and I like to have a final decision on
the treatment of integers to negative integer powers with the `**`
operator. The two alternatives looked to be
*Raise an error for arrays and numpy scalars, including 1 and -1 to
- Backward compatible
- Allows common powers to be integer, e.g., arange(3)**2
- Consistent with inplace operators
- Fixes current wrong behavior.
- Preserves type
- Integer overflow
- Computational inconvenience
- Inconsistent with Python integers
*Always return a float *
- Computational convenience
- Loss of type
- Possible backward incompatibilities
- Not applicable to inplace operators
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NumPy-Discussion