[Numpy-discussion] Intel random number package

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:59:23 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Julian Taylor <
jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 26.10.2016 06:34, Charles R Harris wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > There is a proposed random number package PR now up on github:
> > https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/8209. It is from
> > oleksandr-pavlyk <https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk> and implements
> > the number random number package using MKL for increased speed. I think
> > we are definitely interested in the improved speed, but I'm not sure
> > numpy is the best place to put the package. I'd welcome any comments on
> > the PR itself, as well as any thoughts on the best way organize or use
> > of this work. Maybe scikit-random

Note that this thread is a continuation of
https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2016-July/075822.html

> I'm not a fan of putting code depending on a proprietary library into
> numpy.
> This should be a standalone package which may provide the same interface
> as numpy.

I don't really see a problem with that in principle. Numpy can use Intel
MKL (and Accelerate) as well if it's available. It needs some thought put
into the API though - a ``numpy.random_intel`` module is certainly not what
we want.

Ralf