[Numpy-discussion] Intel random number package

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:29:42 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Julian Taylor <
jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/2016 06:00 PM, Julian Taylor wrote:

>> I prefer for the full functionality of numpy to stay available with a
>> stack of community owned software, even if it may be less powerful that
>> way.
>
> But then if this is really just the same random numbers numpy already
provides just faster, it is probably acceptable in principle. I haven't
actually looked at the PR yet.

I think the stream is different in some places, at least. And it's not a
silent backend drop-in like np.linalg being built against an optimized
BLAS, just a separate module that is inoperative without MKL.

--
Robert Kern