[Numpy-discussion] Intel random number package

Pavlyk, Oleksandr oleksandr.pavlyk at intel.com
Wed Oct 26 16:30:51 EDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks a lot everybody for the feedback.

The package can certainly be made a stand-alone drop-in replacement for np.random. There are many points raised and unraised in favor of this,
and it is easy to accomplish.  I will create a stand-alone package on github, but would still appreciate some help in reviewing it
and making it available at PyPI.

Interestingly, Nathaniel's link to a representative changes, specifically

    https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk/numpy/blob/b53880432c19356f4e54b520958272516bf391a2/numpy/random_intel/mklrand/mkl_distributions.cpp#L1724-L1833

point at an unused code borrowed directly from mtrand/distributions.c:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/random/mtrand/distributions.c#L262-L297

More representative change would be the implementation of Student's T-distribution:

https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk/numpy/blob/b53880432c19356f4e54b520958272516bf391a2/numpy/random_intel/mklrand/mkl_distributions.cpp#L232-L262

The module under review, similarly to randomstate package, provides alternative basic pseudo-random number generators (BRNGs), like MT2203, MCG31, MRG32K3A, Wichmann-Hill. The scope of support differ, with randomstate implementing some generators absent in MKL and vice-versa.

Thinking about the possibility of providing the functionality of this module within the framework of randomstate, I find that randomstate implements samplers from statistical distributions as functions that take the state of the underlying BRNG, and produce a single variate, e.g.:

https://github.com/bashtage/ng-numpy-randomstate/blob/master/randomstate/distributions.c#L23-L26

This design stands in a way of efficient use of MKL, which generates a whole vector of variates at a time. This can be done faster than sampling a variate at a time by using vectorized instructions.  So I wrote mkl_distributions.cpp to provide functions that return a given size vector of sampled variates from each supported distribution.

mklrand.pyx was then written by modifying mtrand.pyx to work with such vector generators.   In particular, this allowed for efficient sampling from product distributions of Poisson distributions with different rate parameters, which is implemented in MKL:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/521894

https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk/numpy/blob/b53880432c19356f4e54b520958272516bf391a2/numpy/random_intel/mklrand/mkl_distributions.cpp#L1071

Another point already raised by Nathaniel is that for numpy's randomness ideally should provide a way to override default algorithm for sampling from a particular distribution.  For example RandomState object that implements PCG may rely on default acceptance-rejection algorithm for sampling from Gamma, while the RandomState object that provides interface to MKL might want to call into MKL directly.

While at this topic, I also would like to point out the need for C-API interface to randomness, particularly felt writing parallel algorithms, where Python's GIL and use of Lock() in RandomState hurt scalability.

Oleksandr