[Numpy-discussion] How to use user input as equation directly

djxvillain djxvillain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:58:25 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I am an electrical engineer and new to numpy.  I need the ability to take in
user input, and use that input as a variable.  For example:

t = input('enter t: ')
x = input('enter x: ')

I need the user to be able to enter something like x =
2*np.sin(2*np.pi*44100*t+np.pi/2) and it be the same as if they just typed
it in the .py file.  There's no clean way to cast or evaluate it that I've
found.

I could make a function to parse this string character by character, but I
figured this is probably a common problem and someone else has probably
figured it out and created an object for it.  I can't find a library that
does it though.

If I can provide any more information please let me know.  Thank you in
advance for your help.