[Numpy-discussion] Reading in a mesh file

Thu Sep 1 10:49:57 EDT 2016

Hello,

thanks for your reply which was really helpful!

My problem is that I discovered that the data I got is rather unordered.

The documentation for reshape says: Read the elements of a using this index order, and place the elements into the
reshaped array using this index order. ‘C’ means to read / write the elements using C-like index order, with the last
axis index changing fastest, back to the first axis index changing slowest. ‘F’ means to read / write the elements using
Fortran-like index order, with the first index changing fastest, and the last index changing slowest.

With my data both dimensions change, so there is no specific ordering of the points, just a bunch of arbitrarily mixed
"x y z value" data.

My idea is:

out = np.loadtxt(...)
x = np.unique(out[:,0])
y = np.unique[out]:,1])
xx, yy = np.meshgrid(x, y)

values = lookup(xx, yy, out)

lookup is ufunc (I hope that term is correct here) that looks up the value of every x and y in out, like
x_filtered = out[ out[:,0] == x, :]
y_filtered  = out[ out[:,1] == y, :]
return y_filtered[2]

(untested, just a sketch)