[Numpy-discussion] Vendorize tempita

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:48:53 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.v.root at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is the first I am hearing of tempita (looks to be a templating
>> language). How is it a dependency of numpy? Do I now need tempita in order
>> to use numpy, or is it a build-time-only dependency?
>

> Build time only. The virtue of tempita is that it can be used to generate
> cython sources. We could adapt one of our current templating scripts to do
> that also, but that would seem to be more work. Note that tempita is
> currently included in cython, but the cython folks consider that an
> implemention detail that should not be depended upon.
>
> <snip>
>
> Chuck

Ideally, it's packaged in such a way that it's usable for scipy too --
at the moment it's used in scipy.sparse via Cython.Tempita + a
fallback to system installed tempita if Cython.Tempita is not
available (however I'm not sure that fallback is ever exercised).
Since scipy needs to support numpy down to 1.8.2, a vendorized copy
will not be usable for scipy for quite a while.

So, it'd be great to handle it like numpydoc: to have npy_tempita as a
small self-contained package with the repo under the numpy
organization and include it via a git submodule. Chuck, do you think
tempita would need much in terms of maintenance?

To put some money where my mouth is, I can offer to do some legwork
for packaging it up.

Cheers,

Evgeni