[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numfocus] Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)

Renato Fabbri renato.fabbri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:14:56 EDT 2017

maybe OT, but is has become recurrent to me for already some years
to make a very simple module for obtaining arrays related to musical
elements.
All here:
https://github.com/ttm/dissertacao
scripts/ have Python/Numpy has implementions of the musical elements.
dissertacaoCorrigida.pdf holds a thorough description of the framework.

I idealize it as a module inside Numpy
but I understand it might be reasonable to do it as a Scipy kit.

I handed my doctorate a few days ago and might be willing to
put some time into this.

PS. long time no post. Hello!

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> On 31.03.2017 16:07, Julian Taylor wrote:
> > On 31.03.2017 15:51, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >> On Mar 31, 2017 1:15 AM, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >>     On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Ralf Gommers
> >>     <ralf.gommers at gmail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >>         On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Julian Taylor
> >>         <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
> >>         <mailto:jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>             I have two ideas under one big important topic: make numpy
> >>             python3
> >>             compatible.
> >>
> >>             The first fits pretty well with the grant size and nobody
> >>             wants to do it
> >>             for free:
> >>             - fix our text IO functions under python3 and support
> multiple
> >>             encodings, not only latin1.
> >>             Reasonably simple to do, slap encoding arguments on the
> >>             functions,
> >>             generate test cases and somehow keep backward compatibility.
> >>             Some
> >>             prelimary unfinished work is in
> >>             https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208
> >>             <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208>
> >>

> >>         I like that idea, it's a recurring pain point. Are you
> >>         interested to work on it, or are you thinking to advertise the
> >>         idea here to see if anyone steps up?
> >>

> >>     More thoughts on this anyone? Or preferences for this idea or the
> >>     numpy.org <http://numpy.org> one? Submission deadline is April 3rd
> >>     and we can only put in one proposal this time, so we need to (a)
> >>     make a choice between these ideas, and (b) write up a proposal.
> >>
> >>     If there's not enough replies to this so the choice is clear cut, I
> >>     will send out a poll to the core devs.
> >>

> >> Do we have anyone interested in doing the work in either case? That
> >> seems like the most important consideration to me...
> >>
> >> -n
> >>

> > I could do the textio thing if no one shows up for numpy.org. I can
> > probably check again what is required in the next few days and write a
> > proposal.
> > The change will need reviewing in the end too, should that be
> > compensated too? It feels weird if not.
> >

> I have decided to not do it, as it is more or less just a bugfix and I
> currently do not feel capable of doing with added completion pressure.
> But I have collected some of related issues and discussions:
>
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4600
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3184
> http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/using-loadtxt-
> to-load-a-text-file-in-to-a-numpy-array-tt35992.html#a36003
> # loadtxt
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208
> # genfromtxt
> http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/genfromtxt-