[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numfocus] Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)
ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:22:29 EDT 2017
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Julian Taylor <
jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 31.03.2017 16:07, Julian Taylor wrote:
> > On 31.03.2017 15:51, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >> On Mar 31, 2017 1:15 AM, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Ralf Gommers
> >> <ralf.gommers at gmail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Julian Taylor
> >> <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
> >> <mailto:jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >> I have two ideas under one big important topic: make numpy
> >> python3
> >> compatible.
> >> The first fits pretty well with the grant size and nobody
> >> wants to do it
> >> for free:
> >> - fix our text IO functions under python3 and support
> >> encodings, not only latin1.
> >> Reasonably simple to do, slap encoding arguments on the
> >> functions,
> >> generate test cases and somehow keep backward compatibility.
> >> Some
> >> prelimary unfinished work is in
> >> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208
> >> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208>
> >> I like that idea, it's a recurring pain point. Are you
> >> interested to work on it, or are you thinking to advertise the
> >> idea here to see if anyone steps up?
> >> More thoughts on this anyone? Or preferences for this idea or the
> >> numpy.org <http://numpy.org> one? Submission deadline is April 3rd
> >> and we can only put in one proposal this time, so we need to (a)
> >> make a choice between these ideas, and (b) write up a proposal.
> >> If there's not enough replies to this so the choice is clear cut, I
> >> will send out a poll to the core devs.
> >> Do we have anyone interested in doing the work in either case? That
> >> seems like the most important consideration to me...
Fair enough. Had a plan, but my weekend went a bit different than planned
so couldn't follow up on it.
> >> -n
> > I could do the textio thing if no one shows up for numpy.org. I can
> > probably check again what is required in the next few days and write a
> > proposal.
> > The change will need reviewing in the end too, should that be
> > compensated too? It feels weird if not.
> I have decided to not do it, as it is more or less just a bugfix and I
> currently do not feel capable of doing with added completion pressure.
Good call Julian. I struggled with the same thing - had a designer to do
the numpy.org work, but that still needed someone to do the content,
review, etc. Decided not to try to take that on, because I'm already
struggling to keep up.
> But I have collected some of related issues and discussions:
Thanks, I'm sure that'll be of use at some point.
> # loadtxt
> # genfromtxt
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list
> NumPy-Discussion at python.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NumPy-Discussion