[Numpy-discussion] Long term plans for dropping Python 2.7

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 10:17:01 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I think Nathaniel had a good summary. My own 2¢ are mostly about the
burden of supporting python2. I have only recently attempted to make
changes in the C codebase of numpy and one of the reasons I found this
more than a little daunting is the complex web of include files. In
this respect, the python3/2 split is certainly not the biggest
hindrance, but it was also not particularly helpful for understanding
to have "translations" of python2 macros to python3 equivalents in
npy_3kcompat.h: for newcomers, it would seem helpful if they could
read the Python3 C-API and be able to understand what is going on.

Of course, the above also proves Julian's point: for strings in
particular, numpy still has a bit to go to be fully python3-ized.

Finally, as for pypy: they just made a huge effort to become
compatible with python3; is their plan really to stick with python2
much beyond 2020?

All the best,

Marten