[Numpy-discussion] proposal: smaller representation of string arrays

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 20 14:15:49 EDT 2017

I probably have formulated my goal with the proposal a bit better, I am
not very interested in a repetition of which encoding to use debate.
In the end what will be done allows any encoding via a dtype with
metadata like datetime.
This allows any codec (including truncated utf8) to be added easily (if
python supports it) and allows sidestepping the debate.

My main concern is whether it should be a new dtype or modifying the
unicode dtype. Though the backward compatibility argument is strongly in
favour of adding a new dtype that makes the np.unicode type redundant.