[Numpy-discussion] proposal: smaller representation of string arrays

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 26 20:50:22 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> The proposal is for only latin-1 and UTF-32 to be supported at first, and
> the eventual support of UTF-8 will be constrained by specification of the
> width in terms of characters rather than bytes, which conflicts with the
> use cases of UTF-8 that have been brought forth.
>
>   https://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/
> 2017-April/076668.html

thanks -- I had forgotten (clearly) it was that limited.

But my question now is -- if there is a encoding-parameterized string
dtype, then is it much more effort to have it support all the encodings in
the stdlib?

It seems that would solve everyone's issue.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov