[Numpy-discussion] [NumPy-discussion] Wish List of Possible ufunc Enhancements

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Apr 29 01:29:45 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Matthew Harrigan
<harrigan.matthew at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a link to a wish list of possible ufunc enhancements.  I would like
> to know what the community thinks.

It looks like a pretty good list of ideas worth thinking about as and
when someone has time :-). I'm not sure what feedback you're looking
for beyond that? Do you have a purpose in mind for this list?

The main thing I'd add is: making it possible for ufunc core loops to
access the dtype object. This is the main blocker on a *lot* of
things, probably more so than anything else on that list, because it
would allow ufunc operations to be defined for parametrized dtypes
like the S and U dtypes, categorical data, etc.

-n