[Numpy-discussion] Does x[True] trigger basic or advanced indexing?

Joe solarjoe at posteo.org
Wed Dec 13 15:43:57 EST 2017

Hi,

yet another question.

I looked through the indexing rules in the
documentation but I count not find which one
applies to x[True] and  x[False]

that might e.g result from

import numpy as np
x = np.array(3)
x[x>5]
x[x<1]
x[True]
x[False]

x = np.random.rand(2,3)
x[x>5]
x[x<1]
x[True]
x[False]

I understood that they are equivalent to

x[(False,)]

I tested it and it looks like advanced indexing,
but I try to unterstand the logic behind this,
if there is any :)

In x[x<1] the x<1 is a mask and thus I guess it is a
"tuple with at least one sequence object or ndarray (of data type
integer or bool)", right?

Or will x[True] trigger basic indexing as it is "a tuple of integers"
because True will be converted to Int?

Cheers,
Joe