[Numpy-discussion] Fortran order in recarray.

Francesc Alted faltet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:03:32 EST 2017

Hi Alex,

> Hi Nathaniel,
>

> pandas
>

> yup, the idea was to have minimal pandas.DataFrame-like storage (which I
> was using for a long time),
> but without irritating problems with its row indexing and some other
> problems like interaction with matplotlib.
>
> A dict of arrays?
>

> that's what I've started from and implemented, but at some point I decided
> that I'm reinventing the wheel and numpy has something already. In
> principle, I can ignore this 'column-oriented' storage requirement, but
> potentially it may turn out to be quite slow-ish if dtype's size is large.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.

​You may want to try bcolz:

https://github.com/Blosc/bcolz

bcolz is a columnar storage, basically as you require, but data is
compressed by default even when stored in-memory (although you can disable
compression if you want to).​

> Another strange question:
> in general, it is considered that once numpy.array is created, it's shape
> not changed.
> But if i want to keep the same recarray and change it's dtype and/or
> shape, is there a way to do this?

​You can change shapes of numpy arrays, but that usually involves copies of
the whole container.  With bcolz you can change length and add/del columns
without copies.​  If your containers are large, it is better to inform
bcolz on its final estimated size.  See:

http://bcolz.blosc.org/en/latest/opt-tips.html

​Francesc​

> Thanks,
> Alex.
>

> 22 февр. 2017 г., в 3:53, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> написал(а):
>
> On Feb 21, 2017 3:24 PM, "Alex Rogozhnikov" <alex.rogozhnikov at yandex.ru>
> wrote:
>
> Ah, got it. Thanks, Chris!
> I thought recarray can be only one-dimensional (like tables with named
> columns).
>
> Maybe it's better to ask directly what I was looking for:
> something that works like a table with named columns (but no labelling for
> rows), and keeps data (of different dtypes) in a column-by-column way (and
> this is numpy, not pandas).
>
> Is there such a magic thing?
>

> Well, that's what pandas is for...
>
> A dict of arrays?