[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating matrices.

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jan 7 03:39:43 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That sounds to me like moving maintenance of numpy.matrix from numpy to
>>> scipy, if scipy.sparse is one of the main users and still depends on it.
>

> Maintenance costs are pretty low, and are partly still for numpy (it has to
> keep subclasses like np.matrix working. I'm not too worried about the
> effort. The purpose here is to remove np.matrix from numpy so beginners will
> never see it. Educating sparse matrix users is a lot easier, and there are a
> lot less such users.
>

>> What I was thinking was encouraging folks to use `arr.dot(...)` or `@`
>> instead of `*` for matrix multiplication, keeping `*` for scalar
>> multiplication.
>

> I don't think that change in behavior of `*` is doable.

I guess it would be technically possible to have matrix.__mul__ issue
a deprecation warning before matrix.__init__ does, to try and
encourage people to switch to using .dot and/or @, and thus make it
easier to later port their code to regular arrays? I'm not immediately
seeing how this would help much though, since there would still be
this second porting step required. Especially since there's still lots
of room for things to break at that second step due to matrix's
insistence that everything be 2d always, and my impression is that
users are more annoyed by two-step migrations than one-step
migrations.

-n