[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating matrices.

CJ Carey perimosocordiae at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:31:27 EST 2017

I agree with Ralf; coupling these changes to sparse is a bad idea.

I think that scipy.sparse will be an important consideration during the
deprecation process, though, perhaps as an indicator of how painful the
transition might be for third party code.

I'm +1 for splitting matrices out into a standalone package.

On Jan 7, 2017 5:51 PM, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What is the way forward with sparse? That looks like the biggest blocker
>>> on the road to a matrix free NumPy. I don't see moving the matrix package
>>> elsewhere as a solution for that.
>>>

>> Why not?
>>

> Because it doesn't get rid of matrices in SciPy, not does one gain a
> scalar multiplication operator for sparse.

That's a different goal though. You can reach the "get matrix out of numpy"
goal fairly easily (docs and packaging work), but if you insist on coupling
it to major changes to scipy.sparse (a lot more work + backwards compat
break), then what will likely happen is: nothing.

Ralf