[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: Backslash operator A\b and np/sp.linalg.solve

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:16:33 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Ilhan Polat <ilhanpolat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's precisely the case but when we know the structure we can just
choose the appropriate solver anyhow with a little bit of overhead. What I
mean is that, to my knowledge, FORTRAN routines for checking for
triangularness etc. are absent.

I'm responding to that. The reason that they don't have those FORTRAN
routines for testing for structure inside of a generic dense matrix is that
in FORTRAN it's more natural (and efficient) to just use the explicit
packed structure and associated routines instead. You would only use a
generic dense matrix if you know that there isn't structure in the matrix.
So there are no routines for detecting that structure in generic dense
matrices.

--
Robert Kern