[Numpy-discussion] Question about numpy.random.choice with probabilties

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:51:25 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM, alebarde at gmail.com <alebarde at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> Yes, this formula does fit well with the actual algorithm in the code.
>> But, my question is *why* we want this formula to be correct:
>>
>> Just a note: this formula is correct and it is one of statistics
> fundamental law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_total_probability +
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27_theorem
> Thus, the result we get from random.choice IMHO definitely makes sense. Of
> course, I think we could always discuss about implementing other sampling
> methods if they are useful to some application.
>

>>> Now, P([1]) = 0.2 and P([2]) = 0.4. However:
>>> P([2] | 1st=[1]) = 0.5     (2 and 3 have the same sampling probability)
>>> P([1] | 1st=[2]) = 1/3     (1 and 3 have probability 0.2 and 0.4 that,
>>> once normalised, translate into 1/3 and 2/3 respectively)
>>> Therefore P([1,2]) = 0.7/3 = 0.23333
>>> Similarly, P([1,3]) = 0.23333 and P([2,3]) = 1.6/3 = 0.533333
>>>

>> Right, these are the numbers that the algorithm in the current code, and
>> the formula above, produce:
>>
>> P([1,2]) = P([1,3]) = 0.23333
>> P([2,3]) = 0.53333
>>
>> What I'm puzzled about is that these probabilities do not really fullfill
>> the given probability vector 0.2, 0.4, 0.4...
>> Let me try to explain explain:
>>
>> Why did the user choose the probabilities 0.2, 0.4, 0.4 for the three
>> items in the first place?
>>
>> One reasonable interpretation is that the user wants in his random picks
>> to see item 1 half the time of item 2 or 3.
>> For example, maybe item 1 costs twice as much as item 2 or 3, so picking
>> it half as often will result in an equal expenditure on each item.
>>
>> If the user randomly picks the items individually (a single item at a
>> time), he indeed gets exactly this distribution: 0.2 of the time item 1,
>> 0.4 of the time item 2, 0.4 of the time item 3.
>>
>> Now, what happens if he picks not individual items, but pairs of
>> different items using numpy.random.choice with two items, replace=false?
>> Suddenly, the distribution of the individual items in the results get
>> skewed: If we look at the expected number of times we'll see each item in
>> one draw of a random pair, we will get:
>>
>> E(1) = P([1,2]) + P([1,3]) = 0.46666
>> E(2) = P([1,2]) + P([2,3]) = 0.76666
>> E(3) = P([1,3]) + P([2,3]) = 0.76666
>>
>> Or renormalizing by dividing by 2:
>>
>> P(1) = 0.233333
>> P(2) = 0.383333
>> P(3) = 0.383333
>>
>> As you can see this is not quite the probabilities we wanted (which were
>> 0.2, 0.4, 0.4)! In the random pairs we picked, item 1 was used a bit more
>> often than we wanted, and item 2 and 3 were used a bit less often!
>>

> p is not the probability of the output but the one of the source finite
> population. I think that if you want to preserve that distribution, as
> Josef pointed out, you have to make extractions independent, that is either
> sample with replacement or approximate an infinite population (that is
> basically the same thing).  But of course in this case you will also end up

With replacement and keeping duplicates the results might also be similar
in the pattern of the marginal probabilities
https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat506/node/17

Another approach in survey sampling is also to drop duplicates in with
replacement sampling, but then the sample size itself is random. (again I
didn't try to understand the small print)

(another related aside: The problem with discrete sample space in small
samples shows up also in calculating hypothesis tests, e.g. fisher's exact
or similar. Because, we only get a few discrete possibilities in the sample
space, it is not possible to construct a test that has exactly the desired
type 1 error.)

Josef