[Numpy-discussion] Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 5 13:40:03 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> If someone who does subclasses/array-likes or so (e.g. like Stefan
>> Hoyer ;)) and is interested, and also we do some
>> teleconferencing/chatting (and I have time).... I might be interested
>> in discussing and possibly trying to develop the new indexer ideas,
>> which I feel are pretty far, but I got stuck on how to get subclasses
>> right.
>

> I am off course very happy to discuss this (online or via teleconference,
> sadly I won't be at scipy), but to be clear I use array likes, not
> subclasses. I think Marten van Kerkwijk is the last one who thinks that is
> still a good idea :).

Indeed -- I thought the community more or less had decided that duck-typing
was THE way to make something that could be plugged in where a numpy array
is expected.

Along those lines, there was some discussion of having a set of utilities
(or maybe eve3n an ABC?) that would make it easier to create a ndarray-like
object.

That is, the boilerplate needed for multi-dimensional indexing and slicing,
etc...

That could be a nice little sprint-able project.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov