[Numpy-discussion] Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 14:05:40 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Along those lines, there was some discussion of having a set of utilities
> (or maybe eve3n an ABC?) that would make it easier to create a ndarray-like
> object.
>
> That is, the boilerplate needed for multi-dimensional indexing and
> slicing, etc...
>
> That could be a nice little sprint-able project.

Indeed. Let me highlight a few mixins
<https://github.com/pydata/xarray/blob/6a20f917041abf53bcb35e210d59f5b331211012/xarray/core/utils.py#L381-L425>
that
I wrote for xarray that might be more broadly useful. The challenge here is
that there are quite a few different meanings to "ndarray-like", so mixins
really need to be mix-and-match-able. But at least defining a base list of
methods to implement/override would be useful.

In NumPy, this could go along with NDArrayOperatorsMixins in
numpy/lib/mixins.py
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/14cd918c651d72f4c2a8681093e114f01d5bdc36/numpy/lib/mixins.py>