[Numpy-discussion] Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:42:46 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Marten van Kerkwijk <
m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I doubt I'm really the last one thinking ndarray subclassing is a good
> idea, but as that was stated, I feel I should at least pipe in. It
> seems to me there is both a perceived problem -- with the two
> subclasses that numpy provides -- `matrix` and `MaskedArray` -- both
> being problematic in ways that seem to me to have very little to do
> with subclassing being a bad idea, and a real one following from the
> fact that numpy was written at a time when python's inheritance system
> was not as well developed as it is now.
>
> Though based on my experience with Quantity, I'd also argue that the
> more annoying problems are not so much with `ndarray` itself, but
> rather with the helper functions.  Ufuncs were not so bad -- they
> really just needed a better override mechanism, which __array_ufunc__
> now provides -- but for quite a few of the other functions subclassing
> was clearly an afterthought. Indeed, `MaskedArray` provides a nice
> example of this, with its many special `np.ma.<function>` routines,
> providing huge duplication and thus lots of duplicated bugs (which
> Eric has been patiently fixing...). Indeed, `MaskedArray` is also a
> much better example than ndarrat of a class that is really hard to
> subclass (even though, conceptually, it should be a far easier one).
>
> All that said, duck-type arrays make a lot of sense, and e.g. the
> slicing and shaping methods are easily emulated, especially if one's
> underlying data are stored in `ndarray`. For astropy's version of a
> relevant mixin, see
> http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/api/astropy.utils.misc.
> ShapedLikeNDArray.html

My biggest problem with subclassing as it exists now is that they don't
survive the first encounter with np.asarray (or np.array). So much code
written to work with numpy uses that as a bandaid (for e.g. handling lists)
that in my experience it's 50/50 whether passing a subclass to a function
will actually behave as expected--even if there's no good reason it
shouldn't.

Ryan

--
Ryan May