[Numpy-discussion] Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 16:35:12 EDT 2017

Hi Peter,

In the context of the discussion here, the fact that Quantity is a
subclass and not a duck-type array makes no difference for scipy code
- in either case, the code would eat the unit (if it would work at
all). My only argument was that sub-classing is not particularly worse
than trying to make a duck-type. In the end, it would seem to me for
anything reasonably interesting, the code sadly becomes rather
complex.

Anyway, for me, Quantity is mostly a way to avoid stupid mistakes with
units - it has certainly helped save me lots of headaches already.

All the best,

Marten