[Numpy-discussion] pytest and degrees of separation.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 07:53:21 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Going with option 2 is probably the best option so that you can use
>>> pytest fixtures and parameterization.
>>>

>> I agree -- those are worth a lot!
>>

> Maybe I'm dense, but I don't quite see the difference between 1 and 2.
> Test files should never be imported unless tests are run, they're not part
> of any public API nor do they currently have __init__.py files.
>
> Ralf

In practice, that would generally be true, but the nose testing tools were
1, all nose imports were buried in functions that ran during testing.
Whether or not that was by intent I don't know. But having an explicit
consensus on 2, which seems to be the case here, is helpful because it
allows better use of pytest fixtures.

<snip>

Chuck